It can be argued that the most important period in terms of minimising the effects of an injury, and helping to make the rehabilitation process easier, is how that injury is managed in the first 48 hours.
Things TO DO – the PRICE principle:
- Protection – immobilize injury wherever possible, this may include the use of crutches, slings or a brace
- Rest – as guided by your physiotherapist
- Ice – treat 20 minutes every two hours with an ice pack wrapped in a damp towel to avoid burn
- Compression – with strapping or tubi-grip, DO NOT wear compression over night
- Elevation – keep injured area above the level of your heart wherever possible
Things NOT TO DO – the AAA principle:
If you are in any doubt as to the diagnosis or severity of an injury you should seek further advice from a qualified health professional.