If you are invested in looking after your feet properly then these top tips for picking out the perfect pair of shoes will be just what you’re looking for.
Finding a pair of shoes that fit perfectly and have the right amount of support isn’t always easy, so here are a few ways to ensure that you walk away with the right pair of shoes:
- Wear the same type of socks to the shop that you intend to wear with the shoes.
- Shop for shoes later in the day (this is when your feet are at their largest).
- Get both feet measured each time you buy shoes. Some shoe shops offer this as part of their service so be sure to ask.
- If one foot is larger than the other, try on a pair that fits your larger foot.
- You should be able to wiggle your toes and have at least half an inch between your longest toe (which may not be your big toe) and the end of the shoe.
- The width of the shoe should be snug but not tight. You shouldn’t see any bulging of the shoe material.
- Walk in the shoes before buying them. They should feel comfortable right away. Make sure your heel fits snug in each shoe and doesn’t slip out as you walk.
- Feel the inside of the shoes for any tags or seams that might cause irritation.
Hopefully this guidance will help you feel more confident when purchasing your next pair of shoes. If you would like any further advice, please don’t hesitate to get in touch as our Biomechanical Podiatry team are here to help.